Naudé;, Clifford, Roland Mirrilees, George Dehlen, Jolanda P. Prozzi, Mashooda Mangera, Constance Moleho, Amanda Meyer, Daniel Sperling, Lothlorien S. Redmond (2000) Global Climate Change, Developing Countries and Transport Sector Options in South Africa. Institute of Transportation Studies, University of California, Davis, Research Report UCD-ITS-RR-00-12
The objectives of the study are to:
- Gather information on the development of the transport system in South Africa, the key drivers which have shaped the current system, and critical issues and priorities;
- Identify current policy goals and initiatives relating to the transport sector and their possible implications for the sector over the long term (i.e. 20 years);
- Assess the contribution by the transport sector to Greenhouse Gas Emissions;
- Identify possible measures (where appropriate) which can be employed to influence the transport sector in the South African context; and
- Set out scenarios for the transport sector in South Africa in such a way that stakeholders will understand the benefits of mitigation and how this can lead to the enhancement of economic growth opportunities, rather than constraining it.